PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wirraway 1950 Beach Crash Inquest
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2013, 10:22
Rotor Work

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wirraway 1950 Beach Crash Inquest

From ABC News

Inquest re-examines 1950 beach plane crash - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The families of three children killed by a wayward plane on Queensland's Sunshine Coast 63 years ago hope a new coronial inquest will finally provide answers.
Another 14 people were injured when an RAAF Wirraway crashed at Maroochydore Beach in 1950.
The plane was on shark patrol when it slammed into the crowded beach in front of the surf club during the Christmas holidays.
Brian O'Connor is the brother of a crash victim and has long argued that an inquest in 1951 was not thorough enough.
This and subsequent inquiries failed to attribute blame, despite witness reports the plane was flying low and directly above the beach, against safety regulations.
Mr O'Connor has been pushing for the coronial inquest to be reopened.
A two-day hearing into the crash began today in the Maroochydore Magistrates Court.
Mr O'Conner gave evidence at the inquiry today.
He says the pilot should have been charged with negligence.
"I'd like them to acknowledge they didn't get it right," he said.
"The pilot caused the plane to crash and I'm just hoping that it will satisfy me and the others who lost their relatives.
"It appeared to me that the deaths of the children was held to be of little consequence and they'd prefer to do that rather than sully the name of the RAAF."
Queensland's Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie says Mr O'Connor convinced him the inquest should be reviewed.
"A lot of the people have passed away since the accident but I think Brian and everyone else are going into this with a very open mind," he said.
"At least they get the chance now to put forward their view and they feel that they have been heard.
"If anything, I think that's why I've done it but at least serving the public interest these people who believe they haven't been heard, rightly or wrongly will have the opportunity now to be heard."
The findings are expected to be announced tomorrow.