PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any glider pilots here?
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2013, 08:44
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LGC

Hi Roooob,

It is very many years since I was a member of London Gliding Club, but there is one thing about that place that will not have changed, namely the topography. It is a complex and difficult site for a newby but an excellent one for an experienced glider pilot.

They have three runways there and therefore three directions of take-off and landing nearly all of them very far from level, not to mention the soaring ridge immediately along one side of the airfield which can complicate landing approaches from that direction.

When I was there you had to have a separate check-out for each landing approach. Your check-out only lasted a couple of months, so if your check-out for a particular approach became expired through not being used, then even though you had flown solo for several weeks on the trot previously on other approaches, you had fly with an instructor on your expired approach before you could fly it solo again. To get this flight with an instructor, you might have to wait all day (because of busy flying lists) and even then you might not get it. This made for slow, frustrating and expensive progress. After one season there I moved to Booker.

I don't know the Cambridge Gliding Centre site, but I cannot imagine it could possibly be as difficult as the LGC one. I would say do your basic training, (say perhaps up to BGA 'C' Certificate) at Cambridge and then decide later whether you wish to move to LGC for the ridge and the challenge when you have some skill and are ready to join a syndicate.

Well that's my two pen'th.

Good luck Roooob; I hope you enjoy gliding.

BP.