PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Changi 1950s
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2013, 08:06
LenP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old memories

I was one of three navs. on 52 Squadron based at Negombo (became Katunayake) from Sept. 1957 until April 1959 at which time I returned to the UK and joined Bomber Command Comm. Squadron at Booker near Marlow.

The 3 pilots on the Ceylon detachment in April 1959 when I left Katunayake were F/L Douglas, F/O Les Sands and M/P Morris. I would therefore have flown with your father quite often during the 112 round trips I made from NG to Gan! The other 2 Navs. were F/L Jack Trainer and F/O Bernie Aslett. My log book would indicate that your Dad was Dougie as I first flew with him to Gan on the 13 Aug. 58 on what was my 67 trip to Gan.

Thereafter most of my remaining trips were flown with Dougie who had been sent to Katunayake as the flight commander to replace the current one who was in a bit of strife with the station commander. I heard nothing of any of the others after I left but thought that Dougie had said he was going on to the Argosy when he returned to the UK. He was without doubt one of the 2 best pilots I flew with during my 12 years in the RAF. Be interested to know if indeed he was your Dad, but the timing seems to be right. Cheers