PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAS Twin Otter lands short?
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2013, 02:36
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the Twin Otter during a gusty crosswind I would use F20 instead of full flaps. Reverse, flaps up, braking as required depending on the surface still resulted in a fairly short rollout even with less flap. Engine responsiveness (or lack thereof) never seemed to be an issue.
I will agree on that one.

I will also add to the "why is it different with STOL aircraft?" explanation one more factor: Approach angle. Landing with full flaps you will be coming with the characteristic nose low approach on the TwOtter; that makes the flare more difficult since obviously you don't want to hit the nose and it is in that window, which emerges from the somewhat extended exposure time to the high winds with low airspeed in the flare, which I think makes it all a tad more difficult and that at some point has catched anyone who has flied the TwOtter. Hence the reason I support Desert's post on using flaps 20 on windy/gusty days.

A quick search on Wikipedia showed that Kudat runway is 730m long. AvHerald says there 14+2 on board; add that to a fuel load of say a 30min flight plus alternates and such and there's a landing weight of around 12000lb? The speed difference between full flaps and F20 at those weights is only 7 knots, F20 Vref at those weights usually being 79kts, which for a 730m tarmac runway is plenty enough, plus having the bonus of approaching with a more "normal" angle which would make the flare easier and quicker plus, as others said, increased rudder authority. And also if you add a bit of beta just before touchdown, just past the stop, will have you making a firm but quick(!) landing.

I don't like to make judgements on situations I haven't been in, but dare I say perhaps full flaps wasn't the best choice for this scenario?

Last edited by Escape Path; 4th Nov 2013 at 02:37.