PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2013, 16:38
Dave Ed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kazkhstan

Kazakhstan

Dave B .....timely anecdote mentioning Ringo......a legend in his own lifetime.....here he is in Kazakhstan, a bit over dressed.......where is he now?

Had to change the tense in this one as it was up and running when I wrote the original.

Provision of two Bell 212 helicopters to support OKIOC'S (Offshore Kazakhstan International Oil Consortium) offshore exploration activities.
The contract was a joint venture between Bristow and a local operator, Atyrau Aue Zholy, with Bristows supplying two Bell 212s plus crews and A.U.Z. providing a Tupolev Tu 134 plus back up. The operation was based at Atyrau and as can be seen on the map many atlases still show the old soviet name, Guryev.
Early drilling results were very successful threatening to be one of the biggest oil finds in history.

Taken June 1998, when the operation commenced, the Bristow hangar being the big one on the right. The airport is 30Nm from the North coast of the Caspian Sea, about 5 miles outside town.

The hangar.
Work rota was 6 weeks on and 4 weeks off with on-site accommodation being in the form of rented apartments in town.

Bell 212, G-BIXV, shortly after its arrival at Atyrau. G-BFER was the other.
Rig was about 1 hour round trip with the 212s averaging about 60 hours per month. One aircraft was used on the contract and the second was a standby SAR machine.

XV in V.I.P. fit ready for Presidential visit. Note the carpet!
Eric the cat clearly approves.

Engineering staff also in V.I.P. fit ready for presidential visit.

The Tu 134 flew from Atyrau to Budapest twice weekly taking 3.75 hrs, plus ad-hoc internal flights for the oil company. The operation of this aircraft was part of the contract requirement although the maintenance was not. Assistance was provided as required.

Natalies