PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wet runway ops
Thread: Wet runway ops
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2013, 16:29
keith williams

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Runways are paved, as opposed to grass strips.
Well I'mlooking at the data for Alderney airport and it includes the following

RWY 03/21Grass
RWY 08/26Asphalt/Grass
RWY 14/32Grass

They are all called runways but they all include grass.

It looks like you have just made up the idea that all runways must be paved.

How many Cessna 152 operate with V1? None.

Not allFAR 23 aircrfat are Cessna 152s. FAR 23 and its (EU equivalents) also cover anumber of twin engine aircraft. These all have V1 values.

CS23.51 (theEU equivalent of FAR23) includes the following for commuter category light aircraft:

“(1) V1 must beestablished in relation to VEF as follows:”

Howmany FAR 25 aircraft operate with V1? All.

But that does not mean that no FAR 23 (or EU equivalent) aircraft have V1 values. (see the quote from CS23 above)

Now how many airliners operate on wet grass again?

I don't know, but there are certainly some.

[QUOTE]If you want to discuss leisure flying, why not (although I believe thefirst P in PPRuNe stands for Professional). But then maybe start another thread?[/QUOTE

Now youappear to be suggesting that people such as flying instructors, flight test examiners and air taxipilots are not professional pilots. I'm pretty sure that they would disagreewith you.

Come onCosmo! The simple fact is that you jumped to the conclusion that the questionwas exclusively concerned with airliners operating from paved surfaces. Your answer was correct for that situation, but ignored the other possibilities.

The bottom line is that wet paved surfaces will not affect accleration, but wet grass surfaces will do so. The OP asked why/how the wet surface affected acceleration, so we could reasonably assume that he/she wanted to discuss the situation in which this was true.

Last edited by keith williams; 3rd Nov 2013 at 16:34.