PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHANNON
Thread: SHANNON
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2013, 15:26
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CONAIR11 Please read the last paragraph of my post. I've landed and observed landings on that runway at SNN since 1963 and long landings were regular in gusty conditions well before that hangar (note how to spell the word) was built.

Over the threshold the aircraft was over the grass to the right of the tarmac. 35 degrees of flap and engines idle but no spoilers to help dump any lift. By the time we were passing Shannon Aerospace we were floating in ground effect about 10 or 15 feet above the runway with excursions having been made both across the centre line and to the right again. When we eventually firmly touched down on the extreme right hand edge of the runway and full reverse and spoilers were deployed the aircraft made two excursions across the runway on roll out and came to a stop some 250 metres past the last turn off. Conditions were poor with wind 270 28 knots gusting 38 knots in a heavy shower.

I've landed in similar condition in A320s at SNN many times over the years but touchdown has always been before the western end of the Aerospace hangar. As it was the landing was a piece of very professional airmanship.