PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Oban, the Sunderland, and the Duke of Kent
Old 3rd Nov 2013, 14:43
Kluseau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loch More is an inland loch at ND 078 457 and thereabouts, measuring about 1.75 miles from north to south (but with a bend restricting a straight line to a little over 1.25 miles) and 0.5 miles across. Judging from the map and online photographs, its defining characteristic appears to be its remoteness. Lines due south from Thurso and due west from Wick intersect about three miles north east of the loch.

And, no, I doubt it was ever a base for anything except perhaps the odd rowing boat used for fishing, and a cottage and a fish ladder. I didn't know about Hess's circumstances in August 1942, which do seem a show-stopper, but my interest revolves around the question of whether the idea, whatever its othe merits (or lack of them) was even theoretically possible given the landing and take off performance of the Sunderland.

Krakatoa: any thoughts on how big a piece of water would have been considered reasonable for a Sunderland to put down in and get off from again?

Last edited by Kluseau; 3rd Nov 2013 at 14:44.