PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado GR.1 auto-land question...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2013, 04:34
Fox3WheresMyBanana

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few points on issues raised, now I have the time.
A RHAG engagement by an F3 in 1992(?) at 180 kts snapped the cable at the drum. The free end twanged off toward the a/c at what were later calculated to be near supersonic speeds. There were witness marks just aft of the cockpit, which nearly spoiled the crew's whole day. Fortunately most of the energy was absorbed by it striking the fin, which Cat 4'd the a/c. I was both the SFSO for the BoI, and the dumbf#ck knobbled to do the first flight of the a/c once they'd changed the fin. I seem to remember landing "Zulu everything" (and there were 15 Zulu codes). Moral of story - don't exceed RHAG limit speeds in Tornados.
I was appointed Sqn Fatigue Officer when the first FI restrictions came in (1990?). After some beavering around in the books I mentioned to the chaps, amongst other things, that setting wingsweeps to other than the big '3' did not 'count' for FI. Not that I recommended it, oh no; that would be naughty
Strangely, we managed to fly the same aggressive programme that year as previous - lots of Affil and ACT - but with a lower FI count. Bang on what Group had asked for, in fact. Funny old thing. The Sqn Boss was a very happy man.