PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 19:03
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roulishollandais
Why is the final design of Airbus and Dreamliner full of failures, weakenesses and non-K.I.S.S. conception
In systems design terms, the Airbus design is very much built on the KISS principle, it's just that airliners are by their very nature complex devices and thus even a simplified interface will appear complex.

Pilots have not hours and months to take decisions and chose or know about all these laws
While I think it's imperative that a pilot should be as knowledgeable about their aircraft as practical, there is no need to fathom the minutae of the flight control/handling "Laws" in order to fly the aircraft, even in a degraded state. Putting the envelope protections to one side, it may be helpful to think of those systems as performing the function of a flight engineer - and in a crisis situation all you need to remember is that all of the laws are designed to provide an aircraft which handles as close as possible to the way it would if everything was working correctly. As long as the aircraft is handled gingerly and with care, there should be very little standing in the way of her bringing you and your passengers to the ground safely.

EDIT: Additionally, I couldn't help but notice something recently. When an A320 scraped a wingtip on landing, the discussion from some parties was all about how interconnected yokes would have solved the problem, and yet when a similar incident happened on that SWA 737 (which has interconnected yokes) recently a lot of the same posters acted as judge, jury and executioner to the Captain. Double standards much?

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 2nd Nov 2013 at 19:13.