PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 12:48
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ciao Baston!

I'm afraid its a wee bit of a conundrum not helped (if that's the right term) by the numerous Navy (as in RN) designations for the various Whirlwinds they employed in their service.

Regarding G-AYNP (above) the records do show that she was formerly a Navy craft (ex XG576) and designated as a HAR.3 evidently entering service with the Fleet Air Arm in August of 1955 .. and that's where the conundrum begins .. for the 'modified' tailbooms (at least according to Flight's 'Aircraft Intelligence' briefing) came about in early 1956:

G-AYNP (sn WA71) now lives in Germany as a static exhibit (below):

Westland Whirldwind (take your pick of Series number) XG576 CU 590 as seen at the Sammler & Hobbywelt Museum in Alten, Buseck, Germany (Photo: Marc Lehmann)

The only 'solution' that springs to mind is that this (and many other craft from the same period) were modified?

What I can tell you is that the Whirlwinds flown by my late godfather (see below) when he was Chief Pilot of Christian Salvesen's Antarctic operations in the early 60's, were indeed Mk (or series) III's and did have the straight boom as well as the inverted 'V' tail:

Westland Whirlwind Series 3 G-AOHE belonging to Christian Salvesen & Co. as seen at Newcastle Airport on 19th October 1960 (Ian MacFarlane)

G-AOHE is seen here awaiting to join the MV 'Southern Harvester' docked at South Shields. She would be fitted with fixed floats for her work in the Antarctic and was accompanied by an additional Whirlwind III.

What we really need is someone with a bit of 'savvy' when it comes to Whirlwind designations!

Last edited by Savoia; 2nd Nov 2013 at 13:05.