PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom Corner
Thread: Enstrom Corner
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 03:04
lvflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeh don't have one around here with the tools. I flew it today and it is most definitely the oleos. You tell me. Shook hard right before hover off of landing pad. Moved to pavement and it shook a little less on set down and pick up. Moved to grass and shook very little. I also tried a nose high pick up and it settled down as soon as I pulled the cyclic back when light on the skids. I'm pretty sure that is indicative of the oleos not at the correct pressures. I did go ahead, at the advice of a blade shop, take 120 grit on an orbital and got rid of most of the exfoliation. Enstrom manual said exfoliation is common and it does not effect anything structural as long as it isn't severe. That is why they advise installing the stainless tape. I don't think I want to do that in the middle of the states. This was minor to moderate and only effected a thin layer. As I worked it more and more flaked off so I'm assuming those bonds were already shot. I don't feel any more unbalance then when I began so I surmise the amount of material that needed to come off was no more than flying through a sworm of insects. I put a coat of LPS3 on it for the time being so I can watch and see if the corrosion has stopped. If it has I'll go ahead and etch, prime, and paint. The mechanic and last owner should never have allowed it to get this far. I also installed Tempest plugs and it runs a lot smoother. I don't know what to expect for power, but with full tanks and 10 knot wind I was able to hover with me by myself, 220lbs, at 28" to 29". Is that about right?