PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 02:44
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OWAIN
I think you are missing a point however. If the warning were to be latched until safe conditions were restored (as suggested by BOAC and myself) the airspeed indications would necessarily be restored to normal and the proper stall warning threshold for the Mach number computed before the warning would be cancelled. You will remember that when the AoA was reduced temporarily the airspeed came back on line and the stall warning with it. That is why I think your next suggestion -

Quote: Machinbird
If, for example, the aircraft could compare g to measured AOA, it should then have been possible to estimate IAS with sufficient accuracy to set flight control gains as well as estimating Mach number based on OAT and altitude.

Is an unnecessary complication
But OWAIN, if you can still set the gains for the flight control system, do you need to drop out of Normal Law in the first place?
I don't believe that the accuracy would be sufficient to manage an auto throttle system, but it should be possible to calculate gain settings that would permit Normal Law or perhaps a variant of Alternate 1 Law. Any improvement in stall warning calculation is just icing on the cake.