PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 01:07
gums

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
Here we go again

Salute!

Fer chrissakes, we are back to the basic design and such of the magenta line jets and the associated autopilot modes and their connection with the FBW systems or even the old systems.

I simply cannot understand the rationale of all the sub-modes of the FLCS ( flight control system) and the autopilot (AP) connections and on and on. Good grief!!!

I do understand that the heavies appreciate some of the AP modes and such to reduce workload and so forth. Funny for me, as I was the only guy in the jet and didn't have a PNF or anyone but Otto to help.

I must insist upon iterating my view of the Viper's FBW contol laws and some of the logic behind the design. This is compared to the 'bus design and more importantly, the implementation. I feel that most of the old school farts here would have liked what I flew with 35 yerars ago.

I cannot understand an implementation that switches modes and laws and such based upon "noise level" variations in temperature or mach changes or whatever. This is especially true for the heavies, that have basic inertial flight paths like most objects zooming thru the air, and lots more inertia than I ever had. And then there's the connect with nav systems and AP functions and on and on and on.

It all came down to AoA for we Viper pilots. Our FLCS trusted the AoA vanes all the way unless deemed FUBAR for a few seconds. I once went vertical and was looking over my shoulder when the "slow speed horn" sounded. "Gums, you are below 120 knots and gear is up!" OK, let go of the sidestick and let HAL do what it can do. So came back down in a tailslide and all the FLCS warning lights came on, Master Caution light came on, and so forth. Jet pitched down and I didn't touch a thing and forced myself not to pull back or forward. A few seconds later I was flying again and reset all the stuff and the fight was still on.

I realize that the heavy pilots here don't have those situations, but they sure as hell have some situations that require basic airmanship and a complete understanding of all the capabilities of their plane and maybe even all the modes and sub-modes of all the the FLCS and the AP modes and so forth. I empathize with them.

'nuf philosophy from this old FBW pioneer.