PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just Culture
Thread: Just Culture
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 00:07
Easy Street

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
Just culture? Not always. If it were, no one would have to submit a DASOR to the Sqn executive before pressing send.
I've seen this practice on a few units and in my experience the reason has not been to suppress reporting. The risk of being CONDORed by a switched-on safety-aware subordinate, with the inevitable sh*t-storm following close behind, is surely enough to deter even the most ambitious pole-climber from trying to manage down his unit's occurrence rate! Rather, as I've seen it, exec involvement in DASOR submission has been intended to ensure that sloppy or extraneous wording is avoided.

Now, loose or sloppy wording in a DASOR should not be a problem... the point of the system is to get occurrences recorded, and if the language is somewhat less than perfect, so what. Unfortunately the early days of ASIMS showed that if indignant ivory tower-dwellers could detect even a sniff of human failing then critical comments and requests for further clarification would inevitably follow. I think some units came to the view that it was worth the effort to put out a water-tight DASOR at the first time of asking, rather than go round in circles wasting supervisory capacity trying to un-f*** the mess that can arise from a quickfire submission.