PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying with a tablett : feed backs welcomed
Old 1st Nov 2013, 16:10
Booglebox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by first.officer
you have to prove that one Application doesn't affect another, ways of mitigating errors, etc., etc. - you can separate Applications by hard drive partion, but that won't work (as far as i'm aware) on an iOS based system.....
You seem to have done your homework old bean! I too have been reading that AMC, but doing so feels like wading through treacle, and has led to unplanned naps.
I'm not an expert but AFAIK iOS apps are sandboxed, so the app can have problems and crash (to the user it closes suddenly) but the system remains fine. Windows (win32 desktop stuff) is not so easy.
My company is getting EFBs certified at the moment, and we have come up with a cool solution that uses quite sturdy duplicate suction mounts on the inside of the flight deck windscreen. They work very well indeed - we did some informal testing in the office and just one of them can easily support my bodily mass (no mean feat; must lay off the strudel ). As the outside of our building is mostly glass, I suppose I could climb it Mission Impossible style.
We are using some excellent software for OFP / w&b / manuals etc. and have made some custom journey logs etc. that work with it. Flight plans get pushed to it automatically as well. It's really awesome stuff and light years better than what most people do now i.e. iPhone camera picture of techlog to Ops
If anyone wants to know more, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Booglebox; 1st Nov 2013 at 16:13.