PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2013, 14:00
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beags,
It was not the CS 95 but the garment he had on top that caused the problem.

It is true that CS 95 was included in the back of the MAR before it became the RTS. but this was highly caveated "at the discretion of the CO or simmilar" It might even have been a Service Deviation. The main issue with CS95 was fire retardance (or lack of).

The choice was: you might fry in a crash or look like the blokes in the back during any escape and evasion. The CO had to decide which scenario was most likely.

Not seen any 1 piece DPM flying kit but a FR two piece that looked like CS95 was introduced for the RW boys. Not sure if any of the FW crews were scalled for this.

I am guessing but was the US grow bag more comfortable to wear for a long duration on a C17. Do they offer the same level of protection in a fire?

I think what is important to note about this so far as Clearances/Airworthiness/Flight Safety matters are concerned all these things should be considerd in the round. I believe the main thing folks on here are worried about with this 135 is will the wings fall off? It will not matter if the crew are equipped with UK or US Growbags.

One of my ILAFFT moments concerns gloves. Down the back of our R you can imagine gloves did not help the knob twiddleing and button pressing. We had an emergency evacuation on landing at Wyton once and my mate burned his hands baddly comming down the rope. He fell off and would have been flattened by the rest of the formation eating team following (OK I embelished that last bit). After that I always wore my gloves during take off and landing. Having worked along side some of the AEA team and seen the RAFCAM films all I can say is the flying kit our guys are issued with is far beter now than it was 10 years ago.