PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2013, 12:57
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from Owen Glyndwr (my underscoring):
In this particular case the autopilot dropped out because of a strong temperature shear (not the windshear you suggest).

Whoops! Thanks for the reminder that the sudden increase in Mach to beyond Mmo was due to the sudden fall in temperature, not a headwind shear.

Quote:
...the logic designed to protect against stall at low Mach numbers had unexpected side effects when applied at high Mach numbers.

It's the logic at low Mach numbers that I'm questioning. As I wrote:
on the face of it, it seems bizarre for the FBW to "grab" a transient, higher-than-normal AoA even if it results in more than 1G with a neutral sidestick (assuming wings level).

Here's the best scenario I can think of at the moment. I'm hand-flying at low altitude in the holding stack and there's a severe, momentary up-gust, causing a momentary (rapid) rise in AoA towards alpha-prot.

Phase-advanced alpha-protection puts the FBW into AoA Protection Law. Meanwhile, the AoA has returned (fallen) to what it was before the gust. However, FBW uses up-elevator to increase the AoA to alpha-prot. The a/c climbs suddenly until I push the stick forward more than half-travel, OR use less-than-half forward stick for more than a second.

Although I'm unlikely to allow the a/c to climb much (unless I'm having a bad day at the office, or get distracted), maintaining AoA Law seems an unnecessary presumption by the FBW.

So my question remains: why does it not revert to Normal Law once the AoA falls to a safe value?

Last edited by Chris Scott; 1st Nov 2013 at 12:58.