PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 294 Squadron
Thread: 294 Squadron
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2013, 08:10
cyflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
there does not seem to be much mention of 294 Squadron just small paragraphs here and there, still have to read Beyond Courage
Yes, unfortunately in the big picture of things 294 sqn was just a small unit rescuing downed airmen. Beyond Courage is probably the best narrative written on the squadron. Glad you found it so quick.

I refer to Vickers-Armstrong Wellington by Ken Delye p123 small mention, formation of 294 in September 1943 at Berka by giving status to A.S.R. in the Eastern Mediterranean
Yes, thats the typical small scale mention that the squadron would get. Ken Delve was also editor of Flypast magazine when he wrote that book. Met up with him here in Cyprus, loaned him some photos for one of his articles. Nice chap. One passage in the 294 sqn ORBs impressed me as to how important the ASR units were considered. In 1941 when the an ASR flight was formed for the Middle East at RAF Kabrit, it mentions the unit was formed around three "operationally tired" Wellington 1C's, "operationally tired", meaning 'knackered' !

the Squadron rarely was together at one place, detachments being operated from a number of airfields from Palestine to Libya.]
which is why we hope to eventually narrow it down a little. I'm sure we'll manage that Wayne.