PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Fokker 27 loses it's propeller at take-off in Paris (CDG)
Old 1st Nov 2013, 07:18
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trim they usually sense the drop in oil pressure or negative torque then something triggers and the blades go to feather.

It can be called NTS or auto feather depending on the installation.

And as for the glass its not really the glass more of the fact you have a 3rd generation yaw damper fitted.

I don't know but I suspect that the F27 has a 1st generation yaw dampener which does a double integral off a heading source. So its not possible to depart with it in.

Also as well modern glass TP are fitted with low drag props. The older aircraft are fitted with prop profiles that thrash the air into submission but the newer Knife props tend to have a bit more science about them. It can come as a bit of surprise when you fly a newer type that they just won't disk and dump the energy like the old ones do.

Conversely when a donk goes everything is so much easier and slower.

Also as well if the F27 AP has as many spare parts available as the ones fitted to my old heap, the ones that even have them, they will be lucky to use it for anything other than wing leveller in cruise. And like or not your much more in the loop to small changes in the aircraft prior to anything going wrong when flying manually regularly. But conversely your workload is so much higher all the time. But to be honest once your up to it you develop so much extra capacity and the flying becomes like changing gear in your car.

The panels you can see which the prop went through a Kevlar screens to stop ice penetrating the cabin but obviously not up to stopping a prop blade.

The forces involved with a blade going are are utterly incredible. And once the blade had gone I don't think there would be any time for any auto feather feature to kick in, if it even would as they still had fuel going to the engine and a such it wasn't spooling down, before the hub departed. Which to be honest is just as well as the hub must have been pulled forward away from the aircraft.

Thumbs up to the crew from another pilot that fly's an old heap.