PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ban on Portable Electronic Device During Flight Ends in US
Old 31st Oct 2013, 22:21
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA buck passing!

My reading of this FAA decision is that the onus of proof, that PEDs use in flight is safe, falls back on individual airlines and will be approved on a case by case basis.

From the horses mouth: Press Release – FAA to Allow Airlines to Expand Use of Personal Electronics

Going Boeing:
I have had two experiences where a mobile phone has adversely affected the autopilot so I hope the ban during takeoff and landing stays.
Don't think the restrictions on mobile phones is going to change for sometime yet, from FAA Press Release:
The FAA did not consider changing the regulations regarding the use of cell phones for voice communications during flight because the issue is under the jurisdiction of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The ARC did recommend that the FAA consult with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to review its current rules. Cell phones differ from most PEDs in that they are designed to send out signals strong enough to be received at great distances
And the FF response to this FAA initiative...well how long is a piece of string??