PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2013, 14:50
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Gotta go with BOAC.

I also wonder how AoA protection laws could have caused a climb as 'nuts suggests.

The various factors resulting in the crash are all worthy of discussion and some "learning", IMHO. CRM, flight control laws, aircraft performance, instrument/sensor failures, basic piloting skills, and the beat goes on.

I can tell you that 34 years ago we all learned a lot that wasn't in the "books" and had not been exposed to us in the sim ( we didn't have a sim for 3 years after becoming operational, heh heh). Our control laws were primitive compared to the 'bus, mainly due to only two autopilot modes that worked with the FLCS. And of course, our operational requirements demanded flying to the limits, personal and aircraft. Nevertheless, we all learned a lot and we passed on lessons to the next generation and the one after that. Now, I am here trying to contribute something for you heavy dudes to think about. And you must realize that CRM is foreign to me. Only crewed jet I flew only had one set of controls and the guy in the back seat was a "systems operator".