PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI REGIONAL-2
Thread: BMI REGIONAL-2
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2013, 09:29
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an ex-pilot of BMIR I am really sad to see this airline look so weak again and my sympathies to those affected.
While DJ6 has put his argument insensitively, sadly he is right. I would extend his argument to almost every employer of aircrew (maybe) except BA and Easy. We are now just the hired help and a number, to be moved around the chess board at management behest, when it happens to you (and it has just happened to me after 10 years at an outstation) you can only hope that a few crumbs of relocation package are thrown your way. The modern mantra is a flexible workforce, this means very little security at smaller bases and less still the smaller the airline.
Someone above mentioned critical mass, and we need to think about that when choosing where we live and who we work for. Given my time again I would choose a home which gave me the maximum amount of airports within a sensible commute and try to get into the biggest base of whatever airline I'm with. I chose to do the opposite and will now be doing around 25k miles a year commuting, it really sucks!
gla