PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sri Lanka to Sydney - where to fuel?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2013, 08:48
Seaeagle109

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Stallie,

Thanks; re the Tower at Hedland are they putting in a new Tower or just refurbing the old one? The old one has been there since the early '80's at least but they pulled the plug on that in the late '90's or so I think.

Lookup,

I just thought of another reason to maybe prefer Broome over Hedland. At Hedland they'll park you on the main apron which means if you're there when there's an RPT movement, you'll probably have to all go through airport security screening which can be a pain, as well as have Customs screen the baggage; that's happened to me, not fun and of course there's an extra charge. Where as in Broome, they'll (very probably) park you over on the General Aviation apron and so no screening of your pax if you coincide with an RPT( so if it's hot and wet/ quite likely in March/ your pax can stay cool and dry/ of course you'll be hot and sweating though) plus they usually just have a quick look in the baggage hold(no unloading and reloading of everything); that is of course unless you, or your pax, throw up red flags on the Customs/ Immigration system, in which case all bets are off and neither place will be quick and easy.

That being said for possible airport preference, the last time I landed a biz jet in Broome the owner enquired if we'd landed on the dirt and not the bitumen, as it was, according to him, "Like landing on a goat track" after all the nice smooth runways in Europe. Mind you, it might have been my landing.

You also might want to have a look around the Airservices Australia website (publications/ERSA) and that'll give you most, if not all, the operational info you need for any airport in Oz that you're likely to take your Falcon. Good info for hours of Ops, refuelling (numbers for the refuellers to confirm any call out fees, usually in A$ only) and contacts if you want to save dollars and organise your own handling.

Again I hope this helps.

Seaeagle109

Last edited by Seaeagle109; 31st Oct 2013 at 08:49.