PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sri Lanka to Sydney - where to fuel?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2013, 04:03
Seaeagle109

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Lookup,

Try either Port Hedland(YPPD) or Broome(YBRM) for your refuelling stops.

Both will clear you into Australia, so no hassles/ extra delays on arrival into Sydney, they'll generally be able to process you and your pax whilst you refuel but you must get approval from Australian Customs and Immigration prior to arrival as they're not main ports of entry; this can be done through either Universal or Jeppesen and probably any other planning organisation.

A few points to consider though:

1/ both locations could/ will probably be, subject to weather in March; either, or both, monsoon weather or a cyclone. Though there are approaches at both locations.

2/ Port Hedland has a longer and smoother runway but no ATC, whereas Broome has a rougher runway (very bumpy last time I was there a year ago) but it does have a Tower at certain times.

3/ neither have FBO's unless that's changed in the last year but you don't really need them if you're just refuelling and whoever's doing your planning has forwarded on all your details (Gen Decs, etc) to Customs/ Immigration/ Quarantine and the airport operator.

4/ if you're planning to stay the night at either, and you have VIP's which I suspect you will have, then pick Broome, as it has better accommodation options.

5/ handlers in Sydney, Universal uses ExecuJet and Jeppesen uses Hawker Pacific, these are the 2 FBO's in YSSY; I've never had a problem with either and the staff are great at both. As you're flying a Falcon, a point to consider might be that Hawkers are the Falcon reps with engineers at Bankstown airport (in Sydney)but a few miles away from YSSY. Universal can and will work with Hawkers if you're using Universal for your planning.

The other options on the Australian Coast for a refuel stop are Darwin(IMHO not the best as it's off your track and could/ probably will be subject to bad weather in March but there's an FBO and it's a major port of entry) or Perth(again off track but with FBO's and a major port of entry)

Hope that gives you some options.

Safe trip.

Seaeagle109

"A man's character is his fate" (Hericlitus, an old Greek guy)

PS: sorry to repeat NoEyedear's info, I was typing while he/she was posting.

Last edited by Seaeagle109; 31st Oct 2013 at 04:13.