PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An insult to all
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2013, 21:44
Danny42C

So the Revd. P.Jackson stands on her "democratic right" not to wear a poppy. There are rights and rights: your fist's rights end where my nose's begin. There is much talk about "freedom of expression. " Milton had it about right: "Licence they mean when they cry 'Liberty'". So, "War is somehing she does not believe in"... Join the Club !...Who does ?... (Close your eyes tight, it might go away).

But, unfortunately, it seems to be in the human psyche to have wars from time to time. And when they do, someone has to fight them. It would be nice if it were not so, (I'm sure the 55,000 dead men of Bomber Command - and all the other war dead - would agree), but it is so.

And in the aftermath, it is surely right that the rest of us (and not only the survivors) should treasure their memory and honour their sacrifice. "Blackadder goes forth" (I think that was the title) touched the right nerve with that famous fade-out.

I wear my old poppy with pride. (I say 'old' advisedly, I keep the old one year on year. Not that I'm more of a cheapskate than the next man, but I do not see why aged veterans (or Army Cadets for that matter) should stand out in the cold with their trays to collect money from the public which any decent Goverment would provide from taxation).

Of course the Revd. Jackson can wear her white poppy if she wants - it's her "Human Right". It's a free country, isn't it ? (and how did that happen ?) She can wear a swastika in the pulpit, if she likes (and see how far she gets with that "Right"). Or burn or Koran or two (and it has been done) - but I would not advise it under any circumstances.

D.