PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An insult to all
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2013, 16:20
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always thought the poppy advocates the remembrance of the military dead from the 14-18 war, and is a symbol of acknowledgement that the people who died are remembered. I always candidly read it/interpreted it from many people that it was (don't be offended please) also an acknowledgement of the waste of that war - the waste of life - in the Great War. Worn as a silent plea for no more war, please?

A heart-breaking thing I once saw, an elderly or middle aged lady wearing a poppy with a black and white small photo attached to it on her coat of a young British serviceman from WW2 (looking at the photo in my minds eye). This was in 1979. I was a kid and have often wondered who he was, who she was? What could the vicar say to that, about that?

Later on of course we have had more and more war and conflict involving our country.
Some of it highly controversially, and politically questionable. And generally hated. Possibly increasingly deemed unnecessary.

My present reading of it is a great many in our nation are of the opinion " well you volunteered mate, and its your hard luck/problem you and them got injured and or killed - sympathy zilch and hostility to your fighting effort-quite high actually because I hate the political aspect of that conflict and your part in it-and I don't want to know about it any further". Its true, many people feel and think that.

Agree with Snow up to a point - think he's a good bloke, read his book understand his stance, if I don't entirely agree with him on this. He does wear a poppy, on the 11th if it coincides with a workday for him on the TV.

Perhaps people are wearing poppies far, far too early IMHO, but that tallies in with the RBL campaign for money for the very worthy - that's a business campaign they run as well and a slick one, for hard cash. They need to place the poppy like an advert to generate a return-everyone understands this.
But seeing all manner of TV celebs wearing the poppy, no made to wear the poppy by young staffers who pin them on for them 20 seconds before green light - I find this......difficult.

Far too long a post and its making me melancholy again as this always does.
RIP all our fallen.

Last edited by Hangarshuffle; 29th Oct 2013 at 16:23.