PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting squeezed.
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2013, 15:11
mommus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The airlines will tell us that we only have ourselves to blame, that the best solution for both parties is cheap seats crammed in as closely as possible. They will tell us that if we want space we should stump up the cash for business or premium economy - on the few routes it is available.

However I think that's bollocks.

It shows the complete lack of creativity in the airlines at the moment. The only way they can increase their bottom line is by causing their customers discomfort due to the density with which they pack them into their aircraft.

Premium economy is between 2.5 and 4 times the cost of regular economy. In a lot of cases it is closer to business class in terms of price than economy, so it's not really a solution for the majority of passengers.

Airlines seem to believe that all economy passengers want is lower price, when I suspect that comfort and legroom are as important or even more so. The small survey I conducted on the subject recently suggested that comfort and legroom are just as important to travellers (on a weighted average).

I have to wonder how many people would knowingly pay for a seat with a 29 inch pitch when for 5% more they could have 33 inches. Are the majority of people really so concerned with cost? I find that hard to believe that when it comes to air travel, most people care only about the price, yet in all other areas of life there is a balance between cost and satisfaction.

If the airlines' spiel were correct, we would all be driving about in Kias. Yet a look on the street now shows BMWs, Volkswagens, Audis, Hondas etc...

Somehow we've been conditioned to accept the fact that comfort in air travel is the preserve of the rich. One may argue that fuel costs are the cause, but Business and First passengers have to burn the same fuel - yet the quality of business class seating has come on leaps and bounds recently, with almost all business services offering flat beds now. Couple this with the fact that business and first are almost never full, and frequently nearly empty, we see airlines relying more and more on their usually full economy cabins for revenue, while at the same time telling those passengers that they don't deserve decent seats and service.

Airlines frequently say that they've tried introducing larger seats in the form of premium economy etc and people invariably go for standard economy. But when the choice is paying £500 for an uncomfortable seat or £1700 for premium it is hardly surprising.

What about something in-between? After all, there is nowhere else to go from here. You can't physically fit any more seats in most Y class cabins, so once all carriers have maxed-out their capacity how do they compete from there? That's why now is the time for airlines and passengers alike, to start thinking differently.

Last edited by mommus; 29th Oct 2013 at 15:15.