PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2013, 15:03
rs852

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cathay AE worth it?

Hey guys,

New here so bare with me, just wanted to ask a few questions regarding the Cathay Pacific AE, but before we get there I'll just state my background:
I'm a HKPID holder having moved here in the late 80's, I've applied once before to the Cathay pacific Cadet programme a while back and got rejected even before the first stage.
However since then I've decided to get my CPL Cert. IV licence in Melbourne through self sponsorship, which is going to start in Feb 14 and hopefully should be completed within an year or a year and half if I choose to do the MEIR as well, which I am probably going to do to maximise my chances.
Anyways, I wanted to ask if it's worth applying to Cathay Pacific after reading a few articles on this forum regarding pay cuts and the housing allowance being cut (for people in HK that's probably the main gripe) or would it be better to apply for one of the aussie carriers? (My missus is coming with me and she's gotten her skilled migrant visa so I can piggy back on that as a spouse which will allow me to work in Oz)
Lastly, if I do decide to apply for Cathay AE and if somehow am accepted, what should I expect in terms of the interview/practical course? as well as will I have to come back to HK (for interviews I don't mind) for a while before being sent to Adelaide for Cathay's training in FTA?

Thanks!

P.s. The CPL with MEIR will equate to around 350+ Hrs in the log - and I don't mind racking up a few hundred more hrs after the course is done in a Multi-engined aircraft at my own expense.