PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Flying and Training (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2003, 10:39
LAFalot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offshoreigor - can entirely sympathise with your predicament on the night, having also trained colleagues in the 76 for the same type of operation. Cross deck landings never a pleasant experience with the 76, though in the 'good old days' over the North Sea when we occasionally operated single pilot day and night, the following technique usually worked:
approach the deck crosswind (to improve your view), keeping sufficient airspeed on for a single engine go around if needed, and then as you slow down gradually let the aircraft turn into the prevailing wind coming over the deck so that you at least see enough of it for a hover reference. Sounds quite exciting but really does work (subject to under and overshoot paths), and by keeping the relative wind on the nose is actually just as safe as a conventional into wind approach. I'm sure you've seen it all before, so please don't think I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs. Others may not have tried this.....
I do have to admit though this technique doesn't work quite so well in the 757 I now fly.......!
Happy rotorvating.