PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs for non ATPL Pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2003, 10:08
julf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non ATPL Jobs

I thought I would add a few points regarding air charter flying . To fly single pilot IFR ( most air charter/taxi companies are ) you need 700hrs that's the law . My company has a minimum of 1000hrs plus 150hrs multi , this is almost certainly an insurance requirement . The flying is varied and sometimes exciting , especially when a donkeys dies at night in IMC with a plane load of passengers as happened to me a couple of years ago . You get to go to loads of interesting airports where you spend lots of hours hanging around for your passengers and the chances are , in France , you will be the only person there . It can be a lonely existance .
Flying piston twins you will get plenty of opportunities to get the adrenalin flowing usually during the English winter . I could talk for hours as can all charter pilots about weather related exploits . Finally I would want to do any other job , why ? The pay ain't brilliant but for what is essentially a part time job ( I fly maybe 3 days a week ) it's not bad . After 2 years of flying on the piston fleet I have just moved onto turboprops which is a whole new ball game . I hope some of this has been of use to you air charter/taxi flying is not for the faint hearted or the inexperienced pilot but it can be good fun . Good luck.