PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just Culture
Thread: Just Culture
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2013, 07:30
Exrigger

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
thefodfather

However, what the FAIR system and Just Culture is not there to do, is to replace the normal activities of a functioning supervisory system. It is easy to confuse the 2 things and I think that Easy Street has hit the nail on the head. FAIR should not lead people to expect that their performance won't be appropriately managed just because the Just Culture says they aren't blameworthy.
Quite correct, when I posted reference to the FAIR tool I only gave an example of what was considered an attempt at mis-use (bit one sided I realise now), we on the whole do look at the people involved and still thankfully get people to hold there hands up to mistakes and personnel are told that allthough disciplinary action is not required there has been education, training and communication to individuals and the whole work force as appropriate, via supervisors and management.

We have several times in the past caused engineers to stop reporting errors/mistakes as different managers reverted back to blame/discipline culture, again thankfully that was a quite a few years back.