PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two Helos Collide in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2013, 07:24
Hughesy

In conditions you find on a glacier with its flat light and blowing snow reference can well be an issue.
Its a common technique to use the biggest thing on the snow to provide a reference...thats another helicopter.
I spent years flying around NZ's amazing glaciers. And that was what I, and other pilots used. So landing close was accepted and was generally much safer then trying to land in a area with no reference. I know of many helicopters that have rolled over due to lack of reference. There was a 500 that opted to land in no mans land ( there was two helicopters providing great reference on the normal landing site) and he ended up drifting, catching a skid and rolling over. Luckily no major injuries to passengers. (not sure "that girls" undies were that lucky )

Sometimes, it can be bloody tricky. Some days you dont land.

I AM NOT SPECULATING on the cause, I am just saying landing near each other is common as it aids safety in the landing.
By the way, this is the first accident/incident I have heard off on the glaciers in the 30 year history of this company (and others) involving a machine touching the other considering the number of flights going on.

Just glad to hear the pilot will make a recovery.
To the Company pilots, Chin up and keep it safe.