PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 dead in 42 days
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2013, 00:55
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An excellent article link, sinbinned - but I believe the recreational area of flying needs to have more publically-available reports of results of investigations into recreational flying accidents - and the particular reasons for those accidents disseminated more widely amongst the RA fraternity.

In my opinion, many recreational flyers do not impose upon themselves the necessary self-discipline and attention to detail that's required for aviation safety. This discipline is much more obvious in GA aviation, where a pilot is more likely to be part of a disciplined chain of associated operators.

I think the greatest concern centres around RA pilots who study, and pass exams, but who still fail to have a solid grasp of the many intricacies of basic aviation principles that are crucial to survival.

Whenever I read of an aviation accident that can be sheeted home to carelessness, a gung-ho attitude, and a simple lack of understanding of the behaviour and limits of their aircraft, I am forever reminded of that neat bumper sticker I sighted many years ago - "Dead Pilots Society - continuously practising random acts of good airmanship".