PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French ATC
Thread: French ATC
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2013, 00:43
zonoma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a prop to overtake a jet at around 80nm to go? Even a Dash-8 Q400 would struggle with that, even if you were doing what you said.

I routinely stick a jet behind a prop (turbo ones) as over 80nms (ironically the length of one of my streaming sectors) if the turboprop starts just 15nm ahead, then the jet is very unlikely to get 10nm in front as I need for the next sector. Solution, descend the jet at 250kts, rarely with a vector to add 5nm to the routing, and the next sector get the traffic as they desire, with the prop as no 1. As long as the prop plays game and keeps the speed up then little or no holding will even be required. The jet delay? About an extra 3 to 4 minutes flying a much more economical speed.

I am paid to know all that (and have it embedded as second nature), which is why one day I will give you the best direct with "high speed" and the next nudge you left a little, descend you a little earlier and pull the speed back. I've met many controllers from various countries and disciplines and all of them joke about prioritising as we all know it's just rubbish talk.