PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2013, 00:40
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ye Olde Pilot
I got my initial Aussie helicopter licence with Great Western Helicopters..Jandakot Perth 1989.

Are you now saying all muster pilots are wearing the full top gun kit?

Do you know how hot it gets in West Australia in summer?
Shade temps hit 40c every day. You'll be telling me next it's not safe to remove the doors?

In the case of most muster accidents a helmet or flying suit would not have saved the pilot.
Since you've edited your original diatribe, I'll add to my original response!

No-one but you is saying all muster pilots should wear full protective clothing, but this thread on helmets has discussed the value of wearing helmets in low level operations. Many years ago I was knocked unconscious in a low level filming crash where I didn't wear a helmet, it could well have affected my survival had there been a post impact fire.

Do I know how hot it gets in WA? I started my Oz flying in Derby in 1979, and was there again in a non-aircon S76 in January/February last year. Yes, I've a reasonable idea of what it's like. No-one but you has raised door off ops and last time I looked no-one had commented that it is unsafe. Indeed, I thoroughly enjoy having the doors off in hot weather, filming, photography, fire ops (Helitack bombing) and a myriad of other operations.

Most of which are carried out wearing the appropriate clothing for the task, including a helmet when needed. Regardless of the temperature.