PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just Culture
Thread: Just Culture
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2013, 23:07
Arthur1Daley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Broader Perspective

Delighted to see Wg Cdr Spry starting such an interesting if not potentially toxic thread.

The contributions cover a broad range, some are well informed and recognise Spry's efforts to gain a wider appreciation of how RAF personnel, aviators and engineers in particular feel about Just Culture. Other contributions are less helpful but may reflect an individuals experience in the past, when subject to the desire of a zealous commander keen to make an impression.

That said, a Just Culture is NOT a blame free culture. If someone has been properly trained and makes a mistake without good reason or cause, that is blameworthy. They should not expect a pat on the back and some kind words before being told to 'carry on'. Aviation is complex and potentially dangerous, it involves peoples lives - all RAF personnel are well trained and paid good money to avoid simple or inexcusable mistakes. That said, the FAIR tool still allows for errors caused by systemic pressure or organisational failings - so I think it reasonable to say that the RAF attitude to a Just culture is, at the middle management level, considered and effective.

My concern is that our senior officer cadre continue to look up and careless for those doing their best. No doubt the Inspector is doing his bit to change that approach but ask the various AOC's who are vying for 3 star rank and they have very little real interest in the personnel under their command. Until we can break that self centred and mainly self serving command cycle, things will never change and trust will be a distant hope.

I hope that we see some feedback or comment from the good Wg Cdr very soon.