PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retention
Thread: Retention
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2013, 22:34
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
The good news is that a certain very senior politician, at a speech at a recent charity dinner, stated that all we need to do is make the military much more like civilian businesses and make everyone in the military more productive! One wonders how? Does he mean we all need to drop more bombs or shoot more people? Perhaps he means that we should all work longer hours and spend less time on our personal lives. Yet our senior leadership still wonder why people are leaving!!
I suspect the highlighted above is what will be expected.

I left almost two decades ago, because the RAF I knew and loved had gone down the tubes as far as I was concerned. The worst thing was the appalling man management shown by those desperate to climb the promotion ladder, rather than just getting the job done in a professional, properly organised way.

A good example: A certain helicopter station was trying to run an operational squadron and a separate OCU with as few as one aircraft per day between them. I was an OCU QHI at the time. Our Boss announced that to alleviate the issues the lack of aircraft caused to our unit's flying programme and throughput, there would be an early shift and a late shift.

After a couple of weeks we realised we were all working both shifts.