PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Unlicensed Mechanic". What are the pre-requisites??
Old 28th Oct 2013, 22:21
Kengineer-130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go and ask for work experience at any airfeild that will take you, getting a few entries into your Cap 741 is really valuble, gets your time rolling on your civil licence experience requirements, and if you are lucky will give you an "in", as good mechanics/ contractors are hard to find.

Don't underestimate just how good the forces training is, it will really help you out, however don't underestimate just how different the civil world is, there are lots of very good engineers & mechanics out here who would knock a lot of forces guys into a cocked hat, so don't fall into the ex-forces mentality of being the best thing since sliced bread

My other bit of advice would be as the poster above, get all your modules done while you are in, I used LRTT & did a full time course, but I was lucky that it fell across my terminal leave, resettlement & I also did 4 months unempolyed living off my gratuity, last few months wages and savings. Have you got any ELC entitlement left at all?

The other thing you will need is a decent quality tool kit, spanners, sockets from 3/16th- 1", pliers, snips, screwdrivers, hammers & the usual suspects.

If I can help you out drop me a PM with your number, I was in the RAF for 12 years and left in 2011, and am now licenced up with B1 & B2 working full time for a good company, and very glad I made the change!