PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2013, 22:03
Ye Olde Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not trying to be controversial just giving my take on a lot of the 'safety brigade' kit worn these days.

If you need a helmet in a 206 then you need one in a Robbo which is much more likely to be involved in an accident. Nomex flying suit? Better get one of those as well as the leather gloves.

If it's needed in a rotary wing then you need it in a fixed wing. C152 pilots learning to fly? Give them a helmet,suit,gloves,goggles,hiz viz.Where does it all stop? Parachute perhaps?

We have so many hi viz jackets now the fact is when I drive somewhere I don't see them. Cyclists wearing helmets are still dying.

My 70 year old neighbour mows his lawn on a ride on wearing protective headsets. He'll die long before his hearing or mower give up.

I got my helicopter license decades ago wearing shorts and a t shirt in a Robbo with no doors in Oz. I'm still here and would never wear that 'Kaptain Klown' kit as Vertical Freedom describes it so well on his thread.

Let me ask this question.

Should Vertical Freedom be wearing a jet jockey helmet with oxygen mask and a full flying suit with epaulettes?

Does my son need the Stig outfit to drive his small economy car?

No.

When you look at helicopter accidents there are very few if any where a helmet would save you.

Last edited by Ye Olde Pilot; 28th Oct 2013 at 22:14.