PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2013, 21:43
Nelson15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally disagree with you. I don't know who you had in mind with part b, but it takes some idiot to choose piloting in order to make money above other far better paid professions. I think I speak for most people on here by saying that being a pilot is all i have ever and will want to do. Now I hope to one day fly for ba. However if qatar were to come calling, I would choose them simply for the worker benefits (such as free accomodation, medical care etc.), vast route range (places ill never see on the ba network), the starting salary (far exceeding BA for a cadet position) and lastly, the most important for me is that qatar's career progression is immensely faster than ba. The average time on the a320 atm is just under 3 years. This means within 3-5 years you may very well be flying fo long haul on a 777 due to the massive aircraft orders and confurmed pilot shortages at qatar. Without deviating too much, I know a BA pilot who has been there for 11 years and is STILL on the 320 as an f/o (By which time you may be a 777 captain with qatar and probably considering a move back to the UK to fly for ba). I can presume this as I have spoken to a qatar A346 captain who was only there 9 years.
So ask yourself, if money weren't an issue would you still act so hastily in only applying to BA and dismissing other opportunities ? If you've a brain you will look at the much bigger picture and realise that qatar will give you much more than BA in the long run. Qatar's benefits start right away. This makes up for the huge price tag, (no rent, medical care etc). The only downside is living outside the uk, but with the ratings you could potentially earn at qatar, you may even return to the UK and apply to BA already having longhaul hours.
Inexperienced in the current Pilot market I most certainly am not. Quite the opposite, only a very inexperienced person will turn down qatar for ba even though they were able to make qatar without financial stress.
The naivety is beginning to shine through a little with all that!

You must have missed the Qatar cadets who have been qualified for a year, but still never got near an aircraft never mind a widebody. BA provide medical cover as well as loss of licence insurance. The only reason Qatar does is perhaps because the NHS doesn't quite stretch to the middle east and they have to provide something!

If your BA pilot has 11 years in and is still on short haul, that will almost certainly be by choice. He would have been able to bid for long haul years ago if he so desired.

I don't know why anyone would turn down BA, join another outfit to then join BA at a later date, right back at the bottom of the seniority list again!

Ultimately it's down to choice. If you want Qatar, go for it. British Airways is still the childhood dream for many, and this is the best chance many of us will ever have at this career. It isn't all about salary and benefits, though BA is hardly miserly in their pay scales. Some people will prefer to stay in the UK with their friends and family.