PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2013, 20:00
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from Flarepilot:
"I'd love to meet the pilot who would correct James Lovell. I would think that would be a very small group of pilots..."

Jim Lovell is widely revered by pilots, myself included, who were ordinary professional fliers at the time of Apollo 13. His leadership on that trip is considered to be a classic model of CRM before NASA defined the concept. (They say there is nothing new under the sun.) That being the case, it goes without saying that Swigert and Haise would have had no hesitation in challenging any misconception of his that might have compromised the success of the operation.

Quote from Jim Lovell, part of an interview reported by the Daily Telegraph (London):
"I think that aviators these days have to go back and do a lot of hand flying really to be the final judge of controlling the aeroplane.
"There was the example of the Air France plane that was lost. They were on autopilot and the autopilot stalled the aeroplane."

Whether or not you understand and agree with the opinion he expresses in the first paragraph I've quoted, his statement in the second paragraph is simply wrong. A pity, because we need respected personalities to raise the profile of current discussions on the pros and cons of automation.