PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana Crash Investigation
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2013, 16:30
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The importance of what is said ...

Sunamer – thanks for the post of the animation (NTSB Animation Asiana Airlines Flight 204 and Southwest Airlines Flight 440). This is the first time I’ve seen this particular animation and I think it speaks VOLUMES … but, it must be viewed WITH the volume turned ON, and the person watching MUST be listening (and listening carefully) to what is said. The TWR controller clears the SW flight onto Runway 24L, “Position and Hold.” After some intra-tower conversation – sounding like a maintenance vehicle requesting clearance to cross RW 24 Right – the controller issues the clearance, “SW 440 Turn Left heading 210, runway 24 Left, cleared for takeoff.” The SW flight acknowledges the clearance. Subsequently, the controller advises ... “United 961, LA tower, caution wake turbulence, B747 on short final, 24R, cleared to land.” Of course we don’t have access to the clearance originally given to Asiana 204, but, according to this clip, it is clear that the controller’s mind-set was the B747 was lined up for, and intended to land on, RW24Right. It was only when the B747 began the go-around, and announced that fact on the radio, that the Controller cancelled the takeoff clearance for SW440 and instructed them to "hold."

While there may (or may not) have been a continuation of the B747's descent ... which may (or may not) indicate some kind of issue with either pilot knowledge or proficiency - but I think the issue of their original clearance looms even a larger concern!

Last edited by AirRabbit; 28th Oct 2013 at 16:40.