PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2013, 01:53
sillohed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autair Helicopters Canada

I managed to dig around in my old log books and came up with a couple of tid-bits regarding Autair Canada. It was actually Autair Helicopter Services, Inc. and was based in the Timmons Aviation Building, Montreal, Quebec. The president was a guy named D.W. Connor. There is an old news clipping that states that they were the first turbine helicopter operator in Canada following the purchase of an Alouette II in 1958. In 1961 they were registered with the Aerospace Industries Association as having 2 Sikorsky 51's, 3 Sikorsky 55's, 15 47G's and 6 47G3's on order. I don't believe there was a direct connection with UK Autair Helicopters but I could be wrong. I only worked for them one summer around 1964 or thereabouts. As I understand the story and the reason I was looking for some more direct information is as follows: Doug Connor was an American operating under Canadian rules in Quebec. He apparently chafed at the restrictions placed on his company by the DOT and did everything to ignore the feds who were just across the street. Following several summons to appear and explain his actions and failing to do so the feds marched across the street, removed his operating certificate from the wall and effectively put him out of business. Apparently Connor had a reputation for bending the rules and having an attitude about the rules of bureaucrats. I heard this all second hand but it makes a great story if anyone out there can correct or embellish upon it.

Last edited by sillohed; 28th Oct 2013 at 01:56.