PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2013, 20:13
Romeo Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berks has it.

Those of you who are successful will have plenty of time to do your sums and make spreadsheets etc...

However, for reference purposes:

I expect to have to pay between £800 and £900 to the bank, each month, at the end of the "repayment holiday", for the first two years. This is as a result of the reduced repayment schedule the bank uses for the first two years. The bonus is obviously fewer outgoings each month. The downside is that you'll take longer to pay it off/incur more interest/pay more for the privilege of the capital in the long run. NB the total sum I have borrowed is around £75k.

So the first thing to be noticed here, is that in actual fact during the first 2 years of employment, I can expect my loan repayments to be less than my bond repayments. Interesting...

After two years, your payment schedule changes such that you're now making up for lost time, so the monthly repayment will be significantly more than before. I don't have my numbers to hand, so I can't name a figure. The thinking behind this is, of course, that you're now earning more money.

There is nothing to stop you, however, from taking a more tactical approach and paying off more of your borrowings to keep the medium term costs down. Indeed, many would argue that is an admirable strategy. While most of this is still to materialise for me, it looks like this reduced repayment schedule is going to be very useful at a time when, financially, one is at one's weakest.