PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Makes the red Arrows Such An Effective team?
Old 27th Oct 2013, 15:29
Xercules

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Prima donnas or not

I cannot whole-heartedly agree with Lou Scannon above. I too flew some Red Arrows Support in the 70s when the team flew the Gnat from Kemble. There may have been no individual prima donnas in those days but the whole team attitude was such. I never felt really comfortable with them, if they ever deigned to mix with the Herc crew.

I was then posted away for a number of years and next flew support in the mid 80s. By now the team was at Scampton using the current Hawks. As we arrived the Manager met us and made sure we knew where the crew room was and invited us, when ready, to go and help ourselves to coffee etc. A sort while later the pilots started to arrive and each one introduced himself, we were asked if we had the WHAM and presented with one so that we knew exactly what the weekend's programme was. Then the team leader came in, introduced himself and invited us to the team briefing where he introduced us as "Red 11" and thanked us for coming. The rest of the weekend followed along these lines with the team drawing us in to be part of everything, really treating us very much as an integral part of the team. The contrast with my previous experiences was most marked.

Certainly for the 80s teams I met their ability to communicate, their openness and friendliness were all strong contributory factors in their success.