PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 27th Oct 2013, 09:30
rotorspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having just caught up with posts from the last few days, it seems the question I asked earlier: "...what, if any, new policy or advice has CHC introduced for flight crews following this accident, regarding use of upper modes on aircraft with 3 axis AFCSs during IMC non-precision approaches" has not been answered.

As debate about the accident cause and concern to reduce NS accidents rightly continues, this is surely important.

Now I know HC clarified that the L2 involved is actually a 4 axis AFCS being operated as 3 axis, but this (a) doesn't change the principle of my question, and (b) introduced another issue - that some, according to HC, apparently operate L2s in 3 axis mode most of the time, and others, eg Woolf and Cyclic, say they use 4 axis with alt aquire for NPAs as routine.

While inadequate monitoring appears to the the ultimate cause of this accident, an important issue was surely method of use of the AFCS during the approach.

So I repeat the question, albeit it now technically corrected, has there been any clarification by NS operators of policy to be used by L2 crews for NPAs, whether using full 4 axis function or a procedure for using it in 3 axis mode?

Last edited by rotorspeed; 27th Oct 2013 at 09:30.