PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2013, 07:28
TTex600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbers44
My neighbor Airbus captain swears their procedure with loss of IAS is max climb power and 5 degrees nose up and laughed because I have 8 jet type ratings and have never been taught that. I said 5 degrees nose up at 35,000 ft means you will eventually stall and go through the altitudes above you belonging to other flights. He says I wouldn't be following the Airbus checklist and laughed some more. With a good altimiter do all Airbus pilots fly like that? We were taught to hold last attitude and power and use the UAS checklist in all 8 jets I was a captain in. With a good altimiter with AP disconnect I wouldn't even call it a big emergency but to fly through unauthorized altitudes would be. This is at least Spirit Airlines procedure.
Your neighbor is either pulling your leg or just plain wrong. I don't know him/her so I'll let you be the judge of that.

The Spirit COM says the same as the Airbus COM.

I'll paraphrase: If safety of flight is affected..... turn off AP/FD/AT, adjust pitch and power as necessary to reach acceleration alt, gear up, flaps leave at existing position, when at safe circuit alt level off and troubleshoot.

Tables are then provided to supply pitch and power settings for various weights/alts/configurations.

Nowhere do I see a combination of "max climb" power and 5deg nose up.

FWIW, the initial settings offered for cruise flight are 3 deg nose up and 80% N1

Note: Spirit (NK) flies A319/320/321. The pitch/power are for 319.

Last edited by TTex600; 27th Oct 2013 at 07:31. Reason: Add 320 note