PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drinking, driving and flying
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2013, 22:33
Big Sand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen & ladies,
I seem to remember a certain 'Summer UAS Camp' at St Mawgan in the early 80's. As a student if you were not having a yellow or a brown at the bar comment was made by the senior officer in ear shot.

This was about 'squadron morale' In todays PCas world of love everyone and 'you' cant say that it was dreadful BUT it was an integral part of squadron morale.

Ok, you cant transpose that part on to today - granted.

Going into battle in business or in real means you need to KNOW the guy / girl standing next to you or on your wing. That process of ' knowing' takes time and is formed in training and in the mess. Some may say the 'mess' doesn't count but I would beg to differ - its all part of that complex bond that holds under adversity.

So, breath testing a young female / male fighter pilot on ops isnt in context. I would put my ass on her / him getting to target any day compared to the 'social norm' any day.

Horses for courses, let those who have 'riden' dictate the rules not those would may have perhaps liked to? It's not about alcohol - its about bonding....?!

VBR