PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK A380 Taxi Mishap - YBBN 14/10/13
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2013, 21:49
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
Eclan's ethos is at one end of the scale, it relies on crews not making mistakes. At the other end of the scale is designing a system where mistakes cannot be made. Each is as unachievable as the other. Somewhere in the middle lies the most effective solution.
Solid training with regard to discipline and communication, briefing etc ( airmanship as Eclan called it), combined with identifying weak points in the system ( the taxiway being discussed) and altering the system where it is not working so well. This also applies to the YMML 34 Sheed arrival being discussed on another thread.
Upshot? We need to invest in training while continuously assessing the systems for weak points and then addressing them. Pretty much common sense really. So why don't we do it as well as we could? One word. Motivation.
What motivates our industry leaders? They are the people who can easily assign the money to both training and system changes. Our CEOs are motivated by money, remaining competitive, shareholder returns etc. I'm not saying this is wrong, it just is. They will only part with the minimum amount of money that they think they can get away with for training and infrastructure updates etc. At the moment in countries like Australia the only reason we have the level of training expenditure we have is because it is legislated. That is the only means of providing motivation as these folk have legal responsibilities and personal drive to make the money.
So unless it is legally required it won't happen because it would put the company at a disadvantage against it's competitors.
Motivation for improvement is the answer, the motivation that works is legislation. Eg we all pretty much agree that airline pilots need to spend some time hand flying simulators to become comfortable with this skill that is being lost, no airline that I know of would allocate two hours of sim time every six months to hand flying unless it was law. In my mind it is as simple as that. If you want it, require it, otherwise it won't happen.
Bit off topic I know but I felt like a rant
Framer